In a recent press release, the Indian government has officially announced that it has received a report on cryptocurrency regulation submitted the inter-ministerial committee which was set up by the Indian government in 2017. This Report and Draft
Bill will now be examined in consultation with all the concerned Departments and
Regulatory Authorities before the Government takes a final decision.
While friendly towards DLT and Blockchain technology, the group who wrote the report we damning when it comes to cryptocurrency recommending a total ban.
As for private cryptocurrencies, given the risks associated with them and
volatility in their prices, the Group has recommended the banning of the cryptocurrencies in India and imposing fines and penalties for carrying on of any activities connected with cryptocurrencies in India.
The Government had constituted an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) on 2.11.2017 under the Chairmanship of Secy (EA), with Secy (MeiTY), Chairman (SEBI) and Dy. Governor, RBI as Members, to study the issues related to virtual currencies and propose specific action to be taken in this matter. The Group’s report, along with a Draft Bill is now in the government’s hands and will now be examined in consultation with all the concerned Departments and Regulatory Authorities before the Government takes a final decision.
In the Report, the Group has highlighted the positive aspect of distributed- ledger technology (DLT) and suggested various applications, especially in financial services, for use of DLT in India. The DLT-based systems can be used by banks and other financial firms for processes such as loan-issuance tracking, collateral management, fraud detection and claims management in insurance, and reconciliation systems in the securities.
More from the full report:
The Committee recognises that while technological innovations, including those underlying virtual currencies, have the potential to improve the efficiency and inclusiveness of the financial system, virtual currency in and of itself does not have any of the benefits associated with a fiat currency. Thus far, both the Government and the Reserve Bank have been proactively informing the public on the potential risks on using cryptocurrencies, with the Reserve Bank also prohibiting its regulated entities from facilitating transactions in cryptocurrencies. However, keeping all of the aforesaid in mind, the Committee recommends that all private cryptocurrencies, except any cryptocurrency which may be issued by the government, be banned in India.
A copy of the Report of the Group, along with the Draft Bill ‘Banning of Cryptocurrency & Regulation of Official Digital Currency Bill, 2019’ has been placed on the website of the Department of Economic Affairs.
- OneFeather and BlocPal to Provide First Nations with Digital Financial Services – July 23, 2019
- Government Committee Wants Total Ban on Cryptocurrencies in India – July 23, 2019
- Judge Refuses to Dismiss Historic $224 Million SIM Swap Lawsuit by Crypto Luminary Michael Terpin Against Telco Giant AT&T Mobility – July 23, 2019
- RENBDO: First ICO Approved by European Commission – 70 Percent Funding From EU – July 22, 2019
- Chinese Government Blockchain Standardized Certification Received by Lenovo, Alipay, and Aelf – July 22, 2019
- KPMG Teams Up With Tomia, Microsoft And R3 To Create A Near Real-time Settlement Network For Telecom Companies – July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based ‘Lunar Registry’ Launched – July 22, 2019
- Daimler launches hardware Car Wallet with RIDDLE&CODE – July 22, 2019
- Ugandan President to Explore use of Blockchain to Tackle Counterfeit Drugs – July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments – July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings – July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds – July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web – July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash – July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform – July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials – July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty – July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial – July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext – July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 – July 1, 2019
View All Articles
Credit Source link